Are you searching for a delicious & easy game day recipe that won’t wreck your diet?
These little bison sliders are my new go-to game day meal; they are fast, healthy and far more colorful than traditional tailgating fare (think golden brown).
Why switch your regular burger to bison?
- More protein packed into fewer calories
- Bison is leaner than beef, the American Heart Association considers Bison an extra-lean meat
- According to the USDA, Bison raised in the US are only fed grass and hay; no antibiotics or hormones
Grilled Bison Sliders with Cabernet Onions
adapted from Bon Appetit magazine
Makes 7 sliders
- 1 lb. ground bison
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Cabernet Onions (recipe below)
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ¼ c. radish sprouts
- ½ tomato, sliced
- Butter lettuce
Pre-heat a charcoal or propane grill. Combine the bison, pepper, salt, garlic powder and Worcestershire in a large bowl and form into slider size burgers, leave a small thumb indent in the middle. Cook on the grill about 10 minutes for medium doneness. Serve over lettuce, top with Cabernet onions, avocado, tomato and sprouts.
- 1 T olive oil
- ¾ of a large red onion, sliced
- ½ c. Cabernet Sauvignon
- ¼ tsp. salt
Pre-heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet and add onions and sprinkle with salt. Sautee until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add red wine and continue to hold warm on low until ready to serve.