One of my rare fast food indulgences is the Vito Unwich (lettuce wrapped sandwich) from Jimmy John’s. It is a salty mix of Genoa salami, capicola, onion, lettuce & tomatoes topped with an Italian vinaigrette.
I was perusing the grocery store without a list after a workout (always dangerous) and I picked up ingredients to make my own Jimmy John’s inspired unwich for lunch.
If you have ever ordered the unwich, you know it is like an iceberg lettuce burrito wrapped in paper and the secret is never to unwrap! When you make the wrap at home, it helps to use a paper towel to hold it together.
Spicy Italian Lettuce Wrap
Yield: 1 wrap, you can easily double
- 3 slices of lettuce (iceberg or romaine)
- 3 thin slices of nitrate-free Genoa salami
- 2 slices of capicola
- 1 slice provolone, divided (omit for Paleo option)
- 5 slices of mild or hot banana peppers (optional)
- 3 thin slices of tomato
- 3 slices of white onion
- 1 tsp. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- pepper to taste
- Make the dressing by mixing the vinegar, olive oil, oregano and pepper in a small bowl
- Lay out a large paper towel or two on a plate or the counter and begin to assemble your wrap on top
- Start with 3 slices of lettuce, lay 2 of the lettuce leaves on the paper towel ensuring that they overlap a little bit and save the other piece for later
- Place 3 slices of Genoa salami on top of the lettuce leaving some room at either end
- Add the capicola then split the slice of provolone in half and place on top of the meat & top with tomatoes, white onion and banana peppers
- Pour the italian dressing over the ingredients and put the remaining piece of lettuce on top
- Begin to use your paper towel to wrap the sandwich like a burrito, first folding in the middle then taking one side and wrapping it over the other, be careful not to trap the paper towel inside the lettuce, a giant bite of paper could totally ruin the experience!
I hope you enjoy this quick and easy lunch as much as I did! Now, I just need to work on my freaky fast sandwich making skills!